Dallas was stop six on the road trip mentioned in our Waco Birthday Trip post. Reunion Tower and Trinity Skyline Trail are the top two places here in our opinion. The observation deck on the tower allows you to see the city on a perch, but if you’re afraid of heights, this is not the spot for you. You can find some great views still from the Skyline Trail, which is one of the spots highlighted on the observation deck. If you plan accordingly, you can get a combo day and nighttime ticket to see both views from the tower.
The city has quite a bit of eye candy scattered about with spots like Pioneer Plaza, the Giant Eyeball, and the lit up arches at Klyde Warren Park. We stayed just outside the perimeter of the city, but I would actually recommend staying in city-center if you can in order to really soak in all that it has to offer. We’ve continued to learn this lesson in most places we visit because we end up having to pay for parking anyway when we drive into town, which is sometimes our reasoning for staying on the outskirts. There is definitely a value to being in the area you’re wanting to explore even if it is only a twenty minute difference.
Our other recommendations for the city are below, and Dallas has quite a bit of history in its possession. We will need to come back to finish all of these at some point, and also visit the other big towns nearby in more detail like Arlington. The Dallas Cowboys stadium is actually at least 30 minutes outside of town in Arlington, which you can get more details about in our Arlington, Texas post.
FAVORITE FOOD FINDS
- CASUAL: TJ’s Seafood Market and Grill, The Blue Fish, Wild Salsa
- DRESSY: Nick & Sam’s Steakhouse, Five Sixty by Wolfgang Puck, Circo
- DESSERT: Kookie Haven, Howdy Homemade Ice Cream, Emporium Pies
WHERE WE WALK
ARTS AND ATTRACTIONS
- HISTORY/ARTS: The George W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum, Morton H. Meyerson Symphony Center, The Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza, Frontiers of Flight Museum, Dallas Museum of Art, Bishop Arts District, Perot Museum of Nature and Science
- SPORTS: Athletics at Southern Methodist University
- ATTRACTIONS: Reunion Tower, Pioneer Plaza, Giant Eyeball, Dallas World Aquarium, Dallas Arboretum & Botanical Gardens