Andre and I visited San Fran on our way to Maui for our Honeymoon back in September 2016. The Ghirardelli ice cream sundaes were to die for and the drive across the Golden Gate Bridge in our candy-apple red BMW Z-Series rental was magnificent. We stayed at the Fairmont on top of one of the many hilltops amongst the wavy city roads.
The trolley ride from Powell Street Station over to Lombard is a must for the views alone, but you’ll also get to visit come iconic spots along the way like Union Square, Chinatown, and Nob Hill. After that, you can make your way to Fisherman’s Wharf for some yummy food or check out the Painted Ladies if you’re a fan of Full House. Carve out enough time to drive over to the Palace of Fine Arts and both sides of the Golden Gate Bridge.
When we left the city side, we drove over to Muir Woods National Monument to walk through some of the gigantic redwood trees, which is definitely worth a trip just outside the city limits. We didn’t catch Alcatraz this round, but I’m sure we will find our way back to San Fran eventually. Check out our other recommendations below!
FAVORITE FOOD FINDS
- CASUAL: Sears Fine Food, Anchor Oyster Bar & Seafood Market, Tacorea
- DRESSY: The 1881, Eight Tables by George Chen, Acquerello
- DESSERT: The Original Ghirardelli Ice Cream & Chocolate Shop at Ghirardelli Square, The Baked Bear – Custom Ice Cream Sandwiches, Bi-Rite Creamery & Bakeshop
WHERE WE WALK
ARTS AND ATTRACTIONS
- HISTORY/ARTS: Alcatraz Island, Palace of Fine Arts Theatre, The Fillmore, San Francisco Symphony, San Francisco Playhouse, Walt Disney Family Museum, Legion of Honor, San Francisco Opera
- SPORTS: Oracle Park, Levi’s Stadium, Chase Center
- ATTRACTIONS: Golden Gate Bridge, Cable Cars, Lombard Street, Pier 39, San Francisco Bay, Cable Car Museum, Exploratorium, Lands End Lookout, Twin Peaks, Sea Lion Center, San Francisco Botanical Garden, California Academy of Sciences, San Francisco Zoo